Monday, February 29, 2016

A MONTH Out

This week's email was brief, again, but that's okay. It's also very, very Brandon. :)

First, the picture he sent. For those of you who know him, you know Brandon has always been fascinated with law enforcement. So this will come as no surprise to you.

P.S. This HWY Patrolman made my day. :)

Being 18, it doesn't quite occur to Elder Chesley to tell us what the patrolman did that made his day, but you know, that's not the point really.

The point, to me anyway, is that it's Brandon, and it's a police man, and to me that says that while some things change in huge, epic ways, other things stay remarkably constant. Never changing. Always the same.

Like the things that speak to his heart.

Elder Chesley's email can, at first, be looked at as kind of a downer. Here's what he says:

This past week was a little slow, in relation to the work. All of our teaching appointments did not work out, not everyone answered their doors, but we did have some people that told us to come by this week, so that is good news.

If you've been a missionary, served with a missionary, or sent out a missionary, you know that's how it is. A lot of the time the plans you make fall through, and you have to make new plans. A large part of your day is spent on plan B, C, D...X...you get the idea. This is something (I guess in a good way) his childhood with us has well prepared him for.

But, you notice at the end he focuses on the positive. This is the message of the Atonement. There is ALWAYS time to turn things around. It is NEVER too late.

This next part made me laugh:

 I found out that I be a little more careful how I eat, which is kinda hard seeing as the members are fattening us up for something. But its working. I have gained 15 lbs since I left home! Which for me is a lot, seeing as I have been 135-140 for the past 3 years. So, yeah. I need to change a few things.
 
Bear in mind my son is 6 feet tall. 140 lbs?! While, obviously, it's a bad idea that he gains 15 lbs a month while on his mission, it's totally fine that he fills out some. We even left him some room in his suits for it.

He leaves us with some inspirational words:

The members out here are wonderful. They are so welcoming and very supportive, which was one of my biggest concerns.

I did not bring my journal so I cant give some "inspiring" words form the 1st book of Chesley, but instead I will share some actual inspiring words from our prophet, President Thomas S. Monson.

"Dare to be Mormon. Dare to stand alone. Dare to have a purpose firm. Dare to make it known"

I loved that as a youth, and I love it even more now. As a missionary, I hope to be seen as a representative of Jesus Christ, just as described in 3 Nephi 5:13.

I love you all, and I wish the best for you all. This week will be the best one yet.

-Elder Brandon Chesley

No comments:

Post a Comment